Early Childhood & Development (ECD)
Early Childhood and Development (ECD) aims at cultivating the minds of children from birth to age eight so they have the full potential to develop cognitively, physically, emotionally, and socially. ECD focuses on the early development of children because it is the most crucial period in a person’s life. More than 80% of the brain is developed before the age of five, consequently an investment in this period of life will lead to benefits that will be passed down from generation to generation. ECD takes a holistic approach to childhood and does not focus on developing some specific aspects of a child but rather views the entire experience of a young child as a member of a family and community with physical, social and emotional needs. ECD enables and empowers children from the earliest stages possible so they are motivated, confident and adequately prepared to make positive transformations in their next steps of life. Additionally ECD can also be utilized as a safeguard system so children with health risks or developmental disabilities can be identified as soon as possible and appropriate attention can be given. The end result of ECD is that children are on the right path and are prepared to continue a productive, healthy and promising life ahead while in return bettering the communities they are a part of.
Through this program ECOLI focus on the following interventions:
- ECD Teachers and caregivers capacity building
- Improving teaching, playing and learning environment
- Improving Children’s health and protection practices
- Parenting and
- Child assessment need
Promoting Quality and Equity Basic Education
Promoting equity and quality education give all children opportunities to access education, increase capacities to respond to poverty issues, and contribute to economic growth and social wellbeing. ECOLI belief that students who have enriching school experiences will be more likely to stay in education and successfully transfer to the labour market. Also those who struggle at early stages but receive adequate, timely support and guidance have higher probabilities of finishing, despite any difficulties in their family or social background. Therefore, promote investing in pre-primary, primary and secondary education for all will enable the national to have skilled citizens that respond to the current and future potential national development challenges and needs.
Through this program ECOLI promotes quality and equity basic education through interventions include.
- Teachers’ capacity building
- Education supporting
Community Engagement Program
Through this program ECOLI cooperates with government and community members to insure that they become part and parcel of the project implementation and outcomes for sustainability. ECOLI engage government and community members through the following interventions
- Work closely with LGA to implement its projects for sustainably
- Sensitize parents and community to invest on community-based ECD programs
- Conduct dialogues with parents and the communities around primary schools to sensitize them on their roles to promote their children’s 3Rs learning.
- Work closely with the community and parents to ensure that MVC have supported to achieve their dreams.
- Promote children rights and protection
- Participation in community meetings
Organization Capacity Development
For organization development and sustainability Elimu Community Light carries out the following interventions
- Carry out Fundraising initiatives/activities
- Staff Capacity Development
- Improve office infrastructures
- Strengthening Organization management and financial systems.